Caliph General Tells Court his Side of the Story


By Kebba Jeffang Sheikh Muhideen Hydara, the Caliph General of Sangajor Darsilameh inSheikh Muhideen Hydara Foni Kansala district of the West Coast Region, on Wednesday, March 04, 2015 started giving evidence at the Brikama Magistrates’ Courtbefore Magistrate Omar Cham, in the criminal trial involving him and the Alkalo (head) of his village. The testimony of Hydara followed the end of the cross examination of Alkalo Buyeh Touray, the 2nd accused person, by the police prosecutor. When the matter was called, Chief Inspector Camara appeared for the IGP, whilst Lawyer Antouman Gaye represented the accused persons. While under cross examination, the second accused told the court that they had observed the Eid ul Fitr prayer on Tuesday, 29th July, 2014. He said they did not receive any information that they should pray on the previous day, Monday, and that the information they received from the badge messenger indicated that he was sent by the Chief on Kansala who requested him (Alkalo) to go with him to deliver the message to the Sangajor Imam. “I went with him to the Imam and he revealed to us that the Chief has said that there should be no prayer on Tuesday, July 29, 2014. The reason he advanced was that the said information came from the government. However, we finally prayed on Tuesday, 29th July, 2014,” he concluded. At this juncture, Muhideen Hydara, the first accused person, who remained seated while giving testimony, said he lives in Darsilami Sangajor and that he is the Caliph General of the said place for about five years now. “There was an Imam at the time of the incident on the 29th July 2014 and his name is Malign Hydara. He later passed away at the end of the following month after Ramadan. He has been serving as Imam for more than 10 years. Likewise, there was an Alkalo too who is now said to be dismissed. He is Buyeh Touray (2nd accused) and he too served for more than 8 years. They said they have removed him from his Alkalo position. I can fully remember what has transpired during the last Ramadan,” he told the court. At this stage, defence counsel Gaye applied for an adjournment in order to continue with the testimony of the first accused person in subsequent dates. He suggested the 16th and 17th for the next proceedings. With the consent of the prosecutor, the matter was subsequently adjourned to the 16th and 17th of March, 2015 at 12:30pm respectively for the continuation of the testimony of the first accused.]]>