SESDO Women ‘Nawettan’: Nema, Fajikunda Reach Final


By Momodou Jarju

Photo: Nema United defeated Bena Bundung on penalties after a 1-1 draw. © Momodou Jarju

Nema United and Fajikunda United have reached the final of the maiden Serekunda East Sports Development Organization (SESDO) women ‘nawettan’ (local football) after beating their opponents in the semifinal stage last Sunday morning towards the afternoon at the Serekunda East Mini Stadium. The five-team nawettan is being organised by SESDO in collaboration with the Scorpion TV and Gam Women Football Fan TV. 

Nema United and Bena Bundung first squared off in a cagey affair under the rising sun piercing its rays on the players who sweated profusely as a result. Bena Bundung opened the scoring in the 27th minute through an own goal. Nema defence failed to clear a through ball which touched one of their defenders and the ball bubbled past the stretched hands of their keeper Binta Colley, who rushed out to grab the ball – before the lurking Bundung player got to it – to no avail.  

Few minutes later, Bena Bundung keeper Kumba Camara was carried out of the pitch due to a severe collision she had with a Nema player. It was the second collision she endured in the match. Bena Bundung didn’t have a reserve keeper so their player Ya Abie Sow replaced Camara. The first-half ended goalless.

Nema United came all out in the second-half and Nyima Sanneh came close to levelling the scores seven minutes into the 2nd period when her volley hit the upright post. Six minutes later striker Kaddy Jarju equalised for Nema courtesy of an assist by their keeper Binta Colley, whose long ball delivery bounced and eluded Bena Bundung defender Fatou Darboe and Jarju took advantage by overtaking Darboe and volleyed the ball – after its third bounce – into the top left corner of the net to make it 1-1. The match ended in that scoreline and they headed to a penalty shootout where Nema emerged victorious with a 5-4 win.  

Photo: Fajikunda United defeated Tallinding United on penalties after a barren draw. © Momodou Jarju

Meanwhile, Tallinding United played against Fajikunda United in the second semifinal forthwith after the first. Both teams created decent chances in the game but they fell short of troubling either of the goalkeepers. 

Fajikunda started the game with one less outfield player since they were short of players. Haddy Wally, who was late and included in the starting eleven, later joined the side in the second-half. With one less in the first-half, Tallinding failed to capitalise on this advantage. They would pay the price as Fajikunda held them to a barren draw and defeated them on penalties by 4-3.