Detained Principal transferred to Janjangbureh Prison


By Mustapha Jallow

Madam Jainaba Drammeh, wife of the unlawfully detained Lamin Camara, a Principal of Denfaye School, said her husbanLaminCamara, Principal of Damfaye Schoold was transferred from Bansang Police Station to Janjangbureh Prison in the Central River Region (CRR) on Thursday, 24 December, 2015.

She is calling on the authorities to urgently release her husband as he has spent 9 days in detention without bail or due process of the law. She added that they know their husband as a good and hardworking man and he is not politically involved in anything. She said her husband has two wives, and has described his long detention as traumatizing to the young family as he was their sole breadwinner.

Asked whether the authorities had given them access to him and how he is treated at the prison; Madam Drammeh revealed that they are allowed to not only see him, but to as well take clothes and food to him. She said her husband’s health condition is normal but their concern is for their husband to be freed from the said prison.

The wife of Camara concluded by reiterating her call for the head of state to intervene and secure the release of her husband, adding that she is disturbed because the children keep asking for the whereabouts of their father.

Reports had earlier indicated that Lamin Camara, who is residing at Denfaye, Sami District and also the Principal of Denfaye Basic Cycle in Sami, Central River Region North (CRR North), was arrested at his home by 3 plain clothes officers who are said to be stationed at Bansang Police Station on Friday, 18 December, 2015 in the evening.

According to his distraught wife, the 3 men came with their motor cycles and asked Mr Camara to accompany them to the police station; and without hesitation, her husband then followed them with his own motorcycle to the station. She said upon their arrival Mr Camara was detained.

The following day, Saturday, they visited the station but they were told by a police officer they met there that the O/C was not available.

A family source said they revisited the station on Monday, 21 December, in order to secure his release as the 72 hours limit had been exceeded but they were told by a Police (CID) they found there that investigation was still ongoing and he would not be released. She said the police told them that they are acting under directive from the top. A family source disclosed that their loved one was denied bail but had access to food and clothes.

‘‘We’re not given any reason why our brother is being held,’’ a relative lamented.

Detention beyond 72 hours is in violation of Section 19 Subsection (3)(b) of the Constitution of the second republic which states that “Any person who is arrested or detained… who is not released, shall be brought without undue delay before a court and, in any event, within seventy-two hours”.

When contacted on the issue after the arrest was affected, Police Commissioner Sankareh confirmed the arrest and indicated that the detainee is under investigation. He however did not disclose the reason for the arrest but referred Foroyaa to the Police Relation Officer (PRO), ASP Mr Lamin Njie who, on Sunday, 27 December, promised to find out from his seniors and get back to this reporter.